Saturday, January 27, 2007

Work Life, Conflicting Emotions and Various Musings

A week or so after Christmas, my case manager from Alzheimer's Community care, Jo Ellen called me to tell me she received a telephone call from the science reporter from the Palm Beach Post and asked if I would be interviewed. It was the same reporter I refer to in a post from last Spring. She has family members with this disease and really wants to interview somebody with early onset and discuss how they cope with the diagnose, continue to work, etc in the early stages of the disease. Again, like last time, I respectfully declined. But yet I feel badly about it because I am depriving other folks with the important news that a diagnosis of Early Onset Alzheimer's disease is not the end of the world and that one can work around the obstacles of the disease and have a happy life and continue to accomplish wonderful things. I feel badly because the House of Representatives passed the Stem Cell Research Bill that Bush wants to veto so bad he can't stand it. We really need it passed in the senate with enough votes to override the Evil One's veto. A big part of me really wants to come out of the closet. I want to call Senator Nelson's office and let him know that I am willing to appear at the Senate hearings on the stem cell research issue.
On the other hand I'm absolutely paranoid that I'll be taken out of my position and put in some unpleasant light duty job. I'm worried that I'll lose my nice, comfortable office and have to leave my co-workers in the homeless program and all of my friends in the mental health department. I'm worried about having to take a huge cut in pay and not be able to travel nor have the financial ability fo pay for my Ipod accessories. That's a really big deal to me because I love music. Before I got my Ipod, I couldn't enjoy music like I do now. The digital technology of ITunes brings a clarity and sound to music I have never experienced before. No other MP3 player has the sound quality of the Ipod. I worry that I won't have the money to donate to important social justice causes or money to contrubute to Alzheimer's research. These things are important to me. I'm in anguish over this and feel ready to start crying as I write this. Oh, what to do , what to do?! These are some of the issues the reporter wants to address. In time, an answer will come. I'll continue to pray about it and continue discussion with those whom I feel closest to.

1 comment:

cindy said...

Hey Gordon. You and I both know about closets. You will be at peace when it's time to do so.Your various musings will be valuable to the public when it's time to share. Until then, your record of your journey is continuing in your personal blog!