Thursday, October 18, 2007

Houston Trip: St. Stephen's Episcopal Church

St. Stephen's Episcopal School: The Rev. Lisa Hunt:
While in Houston, I visited at St. Stephen's Episcopal Church. I really liked it. I liked the diversity and warmth of the congregation. The Rev. Lisa Hunt is a wonderful rector.
I stayed for adult forum afterward. The discussion was led by a panel and dealt with how the panel members draw on their faith in their professional lives.
Pastor Hunt also talked about the Accountability Meeting (she is co-chair) with the Houston city council, the mayor and other community leaders that was held later that afternoon. This meeting the religious organizations the opportunity to hold the elected official accontable for their decisions and the resulting impact on the community. It afforded the opportunity to discuss what works, what doesn't work and what services are lacking and need improving.
I think this is a wonderful idea and plan to discuss this with religious organizations here in West Palm Beach and greater Palm Beach county.
When I went to church Sunday morning at St. Stephen's it was cloudy and dreary and I couldn't get good outside pictures of the church. So I returned on Monday afternoon and ran into Pastor Hunt in the parking lot who graciously let me take her picture.

No comments: