Saturday, January 20, 2007

Gordon's Birthday & Ringing in the New Year

Dec. 27th is my birthday. I came back from lunch and Carla, one of my co-workers told me to look on my desk. I went in my office and found a bouquet of a dozen red roses and teddy bear in the arrangement. Larry had never sent me flowers to work before. It was neat. We went to Beefeaters for dinner that night. It was a lovely day. New Year's Eve was totally fun and took place in Lake Worth. It started at Ann's House for dinner. New Year's Eve is also Ann's birthday and we were celebrating her 80th with her. Then at 10:30, the merry making party goers moved over to Margo's house. Margo is the artsy type, extremely talented in music, the theater and culinary delights. She and her husband Michael have a theater troupe called the Core Ensemble. If you google Core Ensemble you will find that they have several sections to the troupe and travel all over the world. Margo's house and yard is something else. Walking up the walk to the house reminds me of the San Francisco house in Tales of the City. It was a warm and lovely evening and we spent it looking at the planets through a huge telescope. I spent a lot of time in the flower covered swing and consumed a lot of chocolate! We sang Ald Lang Syne at midnight, made our toasts and I pleaded being very tired and we went home and I was asleep in 10 minutes. This brought to a close the busiest but most fun holiday season in my adult life. There are many stories I didn't tell which I'll attempt to do in the form of some of the many pictures taken in November and December. 2006 has come to a close. But in spite of bad news when it comes to health, it was a wonderful year of closeness, love and appreciation to church friends, work friends, alzheimer's friends and spiritual growth of realizing the interconnectedness of people, making new friendships and drawing closer to those who are important to me. It was a year of having to make tough medical decisions and putting a different medical team in place. I have three wonderful doctors who work together as a team. Dr. Briskin, my PC team let me know in no uncertain terms, that my health care is a team approach. He's the team leader, he's the boss and I finally have some cohesive health care rather than fragmented where one doctor doesn't know what the other one is doing. I look forward to what's in store in 2007. My hope for the new year is that America will continue to move forward in what's right for the American people and that our newly elected leaders will continue to vote for legislation which makes life a little easier for average middle class Americans and the poor like they've been doing for the past two weeks. It's time for the United States to turn it's back on evil, to stand up and say "No to Halliburton as they amass billions of dollars while serving our troops expired food and water laughing all the way to the bank, "no" to cutting the taxes on the richest one percent of America, "no" to abolishing estate taxes for multi millionaires and leaving. It's time to say "no" in memory of the people who died as a result of cuts in Medicare and Medicaid, who died in Tennessee when the Medicare was cut. It's time to stop the lies, the deceit, the death and destruction of our country. I'm hopeful for a New Year where love and caring for people ushers in an era of morality and closes the door on the stench of evil and corruption of Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Ashcroft, Gonzales and their ilk. Hopefully we might even have elected officials who won't allow the Evil One in the White House to send our Border Patrol sent to prison for going after drug smugglers. Maybe we'll even get our borders and ports protected. God Bless America. Better days are ahead.

No comments: