Saturday, March 08, 2008

St. Andrew's Episcopal Gospel Choir, Cincinnati, OH

While at the spring conference at Duncan Center last weekend, I stopped in the bookstore to check out the CD's.  I've got 1,300+ songs on my ipod. It's not like I don't have enough music to listen to.
But one CD caught my eye and I bought it. It's called, My House Must be Filled" and was done by a African American Episcopal Church in Cincinnati, St. Andrew's.
Wow! What a choir!  I have many black gospel choirs on my ipod, including all of the major mass choirs.  But this choir is the absolute best.
The soloists are fantastic and the choir is so good. They also provide beautifully done enunciation.
The sing the spirituals in the style Dr. Judy taught us about at the Absolam Jones celebration a couple of weeks ago.  The songs that are meant to be lamentations are sung in that manner and the ones that are praise are rocking and rolling.
I have never given every song on an entire rating, the ipod rating of 5. But truly, every song was supurb.
One song number 13,  "I don't feel No Ways Tired,"  touched my heart.  While the choir sings in the background, the rector is reading the Baptismal Sacrament from the Prayer Book and gives a sermon on carrying that Sacrament out into the world.
If my readers who aren't in Florida want to purchase one, it is available on the Washington National Cathedral website.  It's the particular CD isn't listed, just email them or call and they will he happy to sell you a copy. 

No comments: